Why God Won't Help Me Win the Lottery

I have sometimes fantasized that although I do no play the national lottery, God would give me a winning set of numbers in a dream or vision. Then, armed with these numbers, and obviously God's approval, I would win millions!

Of course, this has not happened in real life. But I took a moment the other day to wonder if God might actually use the lottery in that way, and came to the conclusion that no, He wouldn't. I think that even if God wanted me to have loads of money for something, He wouldn't use the lottery to accomplish this.



Do I think this because the lottery is a basically evil thing, with nothing but bad moral foundations? No. I have no idea about the internal workings of the national lottery system, it's business practices, it's ethics. But even if I did, it wouldn't make a difference because all Christians are by definition aware that God can accomplish great things with rotten materials.

I don't know anything about the lottery, but I know God. One of the things I know about Him is His focus on relationships. Between us and Him, between each other, even within His own trinity of being. The lottery is not about relationship. It is about one person, who receives one sum of money, given by one organisation.

If God wanted a soul to suddenly have a large amount of money, He would use the people that know that soul. The family of believers is a family that shares resources. If a friend gave a financial gift to help with something, it would affect so many hearts in a positive way! The receiver would obviously be financially gifted, but they would also be encouraged by the love-in-action shown by the giver. But that is not all. In a way that I think might please God even more, the giver would have the opportunity to practice sacrificial love, putting the interest of others above themselves. Their heart would have enabled their actions to train their minds to be more righteous.

Doesn't the lottery look boring by comparison? If God wanted to give me money, He wouldn't give me numbers in a dream. He would give my name in someone else's.



Read another post about money...

Image source: http://top-10-list.org/2009/04/02/top-10-lottery-unlucky-stories/

No comments:

Post a Comment