Human Rights


I don't believe in human rights. Hold your fire! What do I mean by that? Well the word I'm really focusing on is 'Rights'.

Our 'rights' state that one thing is true, because of another: We deserve shelter, water, food, clothes, etc., because... We were born.

Do you see the same cracks in this assumption that I do? We 'deserve' things because of... birth?

It makes sense to give a gold medal to a man who comes first place in a marathon against hundreds: he has worked hard, and the gold medal is our way of saying we recognize your work and reward your achievement. But it started with his choice to work hard and aim for a good position in that race.

How much choice did we make when we were born? Or conceived? The natural process of pregnancy doesn't begin with a permission slip!

I do think that shelter, water, food, clothing etc. are good things, and we should seek to provide them for all humanity. So I could say that I don't believe in human rights, but I do believe in human 'goods'. I only disagree with the assumption that an individual can have earned something, even anything basic, the moment they enter the world.

My life includes a lot. But I do not think I deserve much, if any of it. The result? I think I am much more grateful, more thankful than if I took it all for granted.

Do you think we deserve something from birth?
Do you think you have rights to something?
What authority do you think dictates the 'rights' you believe in?
How effective is the current belief in human rights across the globe?
Would it be possible for world rulers to enforce 'human goods'?



See another post about Morals...

Image Source: http://www.babycup.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment