How Supernatural Should Each Day Be?

As a Christian I am in a relationship with the God who created the universe. But something that Christians can't seem to agree on, and I am not sure about myself, is what this should look like on a daily basis.

Should a follower of Jesus be able to go for days at a time in quiet obedience with no supernatural events? Or should the nature of this relationship cause healing, prophecy and visions to frequently occur?

I do not want to be a miracle-chaser, someone who focuses more on the miracle than the Maker. But at the same time, I do not want to set my standards too low and miss out on the amazing things God might want to give me.



The Bible describes in the book of Acts how the Church began. It includes many miracles, acts of the Holy Spirit. My belief is that since God has not changed, there is no reason He will not perform wonders and grant supernatural gifts to Christians today. He is certainly able. But this is curious, because apart from a few cases, this belief is not based on my daily experience.

I do not feel that God has called me to a life of travelling around the world to personally give prophecies to the nations (though I expect He has called others to this). But at the same time, I do not feel entirely confident that my quiet life of working in an office is everything that God wants me to accomplish.

At the end of the book of Philippians in the Bible, Paul mentions that several Christians who work in the palace of Caesar wish to pass on their greetings, and I have often wondered about those people. They were believers working in a secular workplace, so I wonder, what were their lives like? They didn't travel around like the apostle Paul, they were settled, and must have had plenty of daily routine in their lives. Did these daily lives include miracles and wonders, or did they live in simple faith and obedience to Jesus?

I think that we glorify God when we live as He intended. It is good when something is working the way it was designed to work, and it displays the power of the creator. You can create art because of the talent within you, you can stare at the stars and appreciate their beauty, you can thank God for all of these things and most of all you can thank Him for His grace through Jesus, and all of these things will glorify God because you are living the way God designed you to.

But is this enough? Is a life of thankfulness a life fulfilled, or is it just meant to be the start? If it wasn't for my awareness of miracles I would not ask these questions, because a life of thankfulness is quite a content one. But if God is known to do supernatural things, does this mean He wants them to be a regular part of my life?



Read another post about Christianity...

Image source: http://thelatterdays.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/believe-god.html

No comments:

Post a Comment