This Blog is Not Relevant

This blog is not relevant to current events. But it is applicable to them.

That, at least, is my aim. While many blogs provide commentary on recent events in the news or within their own communities, I haven't considered myself to be a voice for this. Instead, I have decided to take my time to write out my own thoughts on any topic, detached from the emotion that a currently relevant situation might create.

My aim has been to write pieces on a topic that are general enough to be useful when any event in that category occurs. If I write about suffering, I aim to write something useful and applicable to both the woman whose pet cat has died, the man who has just stubbed his toe on a door, and maybe even the teenager living in a war zone.

I am not against emotions. I think that emotions are part of what makes us human, and are useful for steering our decisions in most crises. But I aim to have a foundation of thought and logic for any situation before it arises, because honestly, I do not trust my emotions by themselves. My emotions are too easily influenced by anything shiny and interesting. My emotions are a magpie bird. If I have considered a view in my own time before I need to use it, I at least have somewhere logical to start from, or maybe even a leash for my emotional magpie so that it can't fly off anywhere.

I haven't even written any posts during December that mention Christmas! But I have admittedly hoped that this would make my blog posts a breath of fresh air for any readers who feel swamped by the festive season.

There are plenty of topics I haven't covered yet, most of which have never yet been applicable to my life either. I have not yet had to deal with issues around abortion, suicide, euthanasia, and I could hope that I never will. But like a good Boy Scout, I will aim to be prepared. While I have time and a calm mind, I should think about these things. I should not wait until I have a frantic mind and urgent decisions to make. If I waited until then, I expect that the decisions I made could be bad ones.



Image source: http://cherilynstores.blogspot.com/2009/11/newspaper-rack-like-most-newsagents-we.html