Short Story: It was The Day

While recently sorting through some security archives- the location of which I cannot name at this time- I found the following transcript. It is a record of a man the document calls "Mr. D Gulling" describing a strange experience to the authorities. It has never been released to the public for two reasons. First, it is obviously nonsense, it cannot be true. It is too ridiculous. Secondly, a note attached to the document records that a member of staff investigated the same location on a later date, and found no trace of the beings or items described by Mr. Gulling. The witness would obviously state that timing was crucial to catch the event, but this only shows how delusional he must have been.


Transcript begins:

Do you need my telephone number as well?

Oh. Ok.

Ok. Well, I go climbing every now and again with my friend, [name deleted]. We go together quite well because I'm good at sorting out the equipment, you know, harnesses, ropes, and he's just quite good at climbing, so he usually leads the way when we're ascending, because he'll make the better lead, well faster lead, you know what I mean, erm, and, yeah. He-

Ok. It was in [location deleted] near that mountain range you see on the nature channels every now and again, you know, but of course we had done [location] years before that, but we liked the hotel we had stayed in last time, it had been one of our favourite trips, so we reckoned we could, erm, stay at the same place but look for a new challenge, quite a relaxed trip really because we'd already know the area a bit and could just take our time, you know?

Yeah, sorry, Ok. Erm, well, we went out to try the small-

No, it was several days into our trip. It told you, this all happened on [date deleted].The day is important. Anyway, erm, we had spent the first couple of days in the hotel and then in the nearest town stocking up, erm, and then on the [date] we headed out to try the small peaks in the valley of [location] forest. It's different to our normal trips that just involve one long climb up and then a longer one down, yeah, because you have to go up a bit, down a bit, up a bit, and there's forest most of the way because of the weird geography, which I reckoned to begin with made it a weird place, you know, because normal people wouldn't go there very often anyway, yeah, so, yeah, of course they wanted to do it in secret-

Ok. Ok.. Yeah.

Ok. Well, we erm, headed out of the hotel after lunch-

Erm, yeah, it was still quite light, it was just after lunch, and we headed down towards the [location] village near the base of the peaks-

No, it's not, erm-

Yeah it's an old place. You know, erm, traditional, I mean ancient, well, not ancient really, but you know, really old, it wasn't a very tourist-y place, you know, you had to be able to speak a bit of [language] before you would even consider going there, yeah, but we wanted to start there because on other trips me and [name] have done we've found the locals know some of the best routes and stuff, you know, so that's a normal place for us to start.

Well, it was all closed up! When we got there, there weren't any people hanging around outside, scrubbing on boards, or pummeling food, the normal kind of-

I don't know his name, he was just a man who talked to us from his door when we erm, when we tried to get attention from one of the huts.

No, I don't think he was an elder or anything, he was just one of the men there.

Yeah, erm, really surprised. At first I thought "maybe he's never seen a white man before, or not one dressed like me and [name] anyway," and you know, we've had a good laugh before with locals staring at our climbing gear-

No, he didn't have any trouble talking to us, it was more like he was offended that people like us were in the village, were in the area.

Yeah, he did seem a bit angry I suppose. Or scared, erm. It was like he was angry at us for being there, but really scared to be there himself. Yeah, everyone else was just staying in their huts. They-

Yeah. He did. I don't know exactly, I can't remember exactly what he said now, you know, but, erm, he said, yeah, he said something like "You can't go there, it's The Day" and he really meant it, I think, although, I don't know what he meant. Well, I do now, obviously, but-

No, he didn't say much more than that, erm, he just seemed to repeat it. I think that, I think he thought it was enough, erm, yeah he looked like he expected us to understand what he meant, like, as if everyone should, you know. He seemed to give up after a while and closed himself back in his hut-

No, we didn't try any of the others, because they were all closed in as well, so we just put it down to local religion or something... oh wow, you know when you look back and you really wish you listened, yeah, wow I'm still getting that now, the evil little things, did you know they all picked me up and-

Ok. Ok...

Yeah, Ok. Erm. Well we went into the dips and climbs and stuff, you know-

Yeah, not expecting anything, still just quite relaxed, looking for small climbing challenges, the odd overhang, some good bouldering stuff-

No, we didn't really care what he had said, we had probably forgotten about it after half an hour, you know, because me and [name] just get on with it, and-

Ok. So, erm, [name] got his leg trapped when some of the ropes tangled in some branches on a rock face, and I belayed a bit fast to try and help, but erm, you know, I didn't, and I feel stupid, yeah, yeah...

But if I hadn't done that to him, the bloody bears might not have-

Well, I know, but, you know, he's my mate and that, yeah...

Ok. So I lowered him down, yeah, and we knew we were Ok because he was showing the normal healthy signs, could still hobble back up the path, and we always have a first aid kit you know, because every real climber-

No, I didn't take anything myself, because I wans't hurt.

No, nothing. All I had had to drink was water, and all I had eaten since leaving the hotel was some mints and energy tablets.

Yeah, yeah, I gave you the packets, nothing weird in the ingredients, mostly just sugar, you know. Nothing weird. That was all I had, yeah.

Ok. Well, after I got [name] down, we still had a few hooks in the rock, good quality ones too not the disposable ones, so when he was Ok I left him on the ground to rest and went up without a harnass to pick the hooks out again, erm, and then we were going to head back to the hotel.

Ok. Ok. Yeah, well, I went to get the top one first, yeah, and then I was going to work my way down, right, but when I got as high as the top one, I wasn't too far off the ledge at the top, where you can see from the base that there's an edge of quite thick forest, right, and that's when I heard the noises they were making-

Like, erm, you, know, ceramic and metal clinking noises, and voices, well, lots of mutterings, and even some laughter that you normally hear from kids playing, you know-

Well of course it was weird! We weren't near anyone, and I hear that stuff, erm, that noise, coming from over the top, you know, from the forest-

Yes, I know I did-

No, it couldn't have been mixed up with anything else-

I don't know!...

Ok. Ok. So, I heard that noise, well those noises, and you know, you need to go and see what the hell is happening, because I knew I was only about a dozen holds from the top, so you know, of course you would go and see, so erm, yeah I went, yeah I climbed and went to the top and crawled onto the edge of the forest, and that's when I saw them! Hundreds of them, the little things all in groups-

No, not real ones-

Yes, I told you, yes, little toy bears, you know-

Yes, stuffed ones, toy ones-

Yes, they were! They were all there, really small but hundreds of them, and they were sitting on blankets and they were eating food and there was teacups and cutlery and-

No, they weren't human sized, the blankets and the cakes and the china was all bear size-

Yes, of course teddy bear size-

It's not funny! I'm telling you I-

Tell him to stop laughing! I know what I-

The transcript ends here. Mr. D. Gulling continued to describe, in a written document, that the items/animals he witnessed quickly identified his presence and as a group forced him off of the ledge. The fall resulted in medium wounds, and with the help of his companion [name], returned to their holiday residence where they received medical attention.

[Name], who submitted a written statement, only insisted repeatedly that he definately did not hear the noises described by Mr. D. Gulling, and that the incident must have been due to exhaustion, psychological illness, or a mirage, but definately not teddy bears. He repeated again at the end of his statement that he definately did not hear any of the noises described.




Image source: http://mistcamp.webs.com/sunlightforest.htm