Everything/Nothing Leads to God

A simple observation: It seems that a people are most likely to turn to God when they have either everything or nothing.

If someone is doing 'OK' in life, they are generally unsatisfied but have this idea that if they could just get more stuff (money, power, etc.) than they currently have then they would be happy. I suspect that many people in western societies spend their entire lives in this unsatisfied state.

If someone has nothing, they will often turn to God for help. If they own nothing, if nobody will help them, they turn to the being they have heard is both powerful and loving. Fortunately for us, God is not too proud to be the God of Last Resort. He welcomes His children no matter which route they use to come home because He loves them more than we can imagine.

The unexpected part of this might be the suggestion that when someone has everything, they can turn to God. But don't we always see news stories about rich celebrities battling depression, or even taking their own lives? Of course, by 'everything' I am here referring to everything that a human mind has decided it needs from this world to be happy. That could include fame, money and power. But it will probably also differ from person to person.

Part of my own testimony of becoming a practicing Christian is that, at the age of 16, I had everything a 16 year old boy wanted. I had as much material wealth as I thought I needed due to parents providing me with a generous allowance, I had a girlfriend who adored me, I had friends in and out of school, I had a lot of freedom with my time outside of school and success within school. This wasn't the money, fame and power that some people might call 'everything', but it was everything I thought I wanted, so I was surprised to find myself unsatisfied. That was my clue that there must be more to life than all these things, so I fell into the group of people that turn to God because they have 'everything' and found that it wasn't enough.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're still blogging away : ) I havent for a while. I think, its now an underappreciated web-art (but should be due a comeback, right?)!

    ReplyDelete