The Vanity in My Novelty

Image source: http://www.completeselling.com/6-sales-tips-to-help-you-stand-out-from-the-crowd-when-selling/
Each of us has many different characteristics, opinions, hobbies and interests. Stereotypes, or sometimes weaker but still present links, are formed in all of our minds about which of these naturally link together. For example, we aren't surprised when someone with a quiet personality turns out to be an avid reader, or when someone tall and muscular turns out to be a regular sports player.

But I have spotted myself trying to avoid falling into such predictable categories and groups. I think that this is due to some fear of being predictable. As a teenager I considered the adjective "predictable" as the worst one that could ever be applied to me; I was determined to be spontaneous, mysterious, or interesting to everyone I met.


When I was a teenager, predictable meant boring. I didn't want to be boring, I wanted to be noticed, respected and even admired, just like most others in my age group. Youth culture is all about distinguishing yourself from silly kids and dull adults, so my pride fuelled my determination to be unique.

But now that I am an adult, is it helpful for this idea to still shape my identity and actions? Is there actually anything wrong with being predictable?

Well, in one sense, yes. Because it turns out that adults still want to be noticed, respected and admired, we just do it more subtly than teenagers. So my pride is still pushing me to be cool, be different, be unique.

And yet my experience is leading me to be increasingly aware of my identity, of who I am. I continue to learn about my strengths and weaknesses and tastes. Although this is obviously good in some ways, it also means that it is harder for me flex my personality without being false about myself.

In the more important sense, there is nothing wrong with being predictable. If your personality type fits quite closely to a known stereotype (all stereotypes must have at least a grain of truth in them, they do not come out of nowhere) then I think that life will be easier for you if you accept that and let yourself enjoy what you enjoy.

I must choose to remember that my value is not based on the opinions that other people have about me. Besides, I would rather enjoy the company of a friend who knows how predictable I am than an acquaintance that I feel the need to entertain.

No comments:

Post a Comment