The Fields So Far

I have been posting an article on this blog three times each month for over two years now. I'm taking up one more post to dwell on that for a minute.

The old saying that 'practice makes perfect' seems to become increasingly self-evident as you get older. I know that many adults say that they wish they had been more devoted to some of the hobbies they enjoyed when they were younger, because they know that they would like to be enjoying the fruits of their persistence now.

I set myself a target to write something on this blog three times each month because I thought it would be challenging enough to push me, but low enough that I wouldn't burn out or get frustrated. So far, it seems like that was a good estimate.



After a couple of years, do I feel like I'm running out of philosophies and reflections to share? Some days, yes. But other days, when I'm explaining to someone an opinion or thought that I've held for years, I realize "Hey, I haven't added that to Sky and Field yet, I should get it written down..."

On the other hand, the short stories that I write seem to be going in a different direction. Sort of. Like my thoughts on life, my ideas bank seems to contain less than it did when I started, but at the same time I feel like my writing style is improving. For all posts that I write, but especially the short stories, it feels like the time and effort I have given to blogging has helped me develop my skill.

I find this interesting because I haven't ever attended any "how to write good material" seminars or lectures, I haven't tried to teach myself anything. I think that I have simply improved with practice. I share the opinion of some that when beginning to use a medium for creativity, the first thing you will need to do to be good is get all of your bad ideas out of the way by creating them and then moving on. This may take hours, months or years, and probably depends on how frequently you practice the medium.

I will end on the thought that this leads to. I think it is a shame that some of my most prominent ideas (and therefore, the ones that I blogged about earliest) are, on Sky and Field, some of my least well communicated. Some of my favorite thoughts are the worst I have written. If you are interested in my skill as a writer, then by all means continue to observe what I post in the future. But if you want to know the issues that lie closest to my heart, then you should travel through the archives to learn what I thought really needed to be said at the start.



See the beginning of Sky and Field...

Image source: http://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/22712/how-to-improve-the-smartphone-keyboard-layout

No comments:

Post a Comment