Rage Inside the Machine


In an average week, where are you most likely to get angry at other people? You may first think of the workplace, or home. What about, where you are most likely to get angry, and then convince yourself that it was another person's fault? You might still think of the same place. But what about where you are most likely to get angry, convince yourself it was the other person's fault, and then get increasingly angry as you make more mistakes yourself? Maybe your answer has changed now. For me, I think this is a typcial routine for drivers.

In the sealed metal body which we use to transport ourselves from A to B, no-one can hear you scream. Which is a good thing when you are furiously insulting the idiot who just swerved in front of you at that junction where they should have given way and let you go first. Most people won't stop, get out of their car and try to converse with someone who has done them wrong on a journey, so we are forced to sit in our seats and simmer in our own hatred.


I saw the results of a general survey in my workplace some time ago that asked people how good they thought they were at driving. I found it quite amusing to see that the average (most) people thought that they were above-average at driving!

I think that this ability to imagine ourselves as being better than others on the road comes from what I call 'a lack of practical forgiveness'. This means that we aren't very good at recognising that other people can have bad days, and can be expected to make mistakes. Unfortunately, at the same time we are very good at applying these excuses to ourselves.

Cars are the ideal item for this, because we should be competant at driving to even be on the road, but at the same time they are still machines which we do not control as directly as our own bodies. So, for example, if while driving another man skids out of control on ice and collides with my car, then he is a stupid man who should have been more careful, and could have prevented the collision if he had been paying attention. But if, while driving, my own car skids out of control on ice and collides with another car, then it's not my fault because I tried to go carefully, but how much control can one man have over a mechanical machine that is so much larger and heavier than himself?

Stress against ourselves even seems to rise out of our cars, since we have come to hold an expectation that we really can control them perfectly. If you don't go down the path of blaming the tool, then you can actually get very proud of how skilled you are on the road. Referring to yourself as a less than average driver doesn't seem to be an idea that most people ever consider. Being accused of poor driving skills is usually taken as a personal offence.

I think that it is purely a cultural phenomenon that we feel the need to be so protective about our driving skills. It may come from films, T.V. and celebrities, or it may just be that we have grown up in a nation which associates good driving with a competant adult.

If I said to your face that I was not a very good driver, what would you think of me?
If I said to your face that I thought you were not a very good driver, how would you feel? Would you quickly try to justify that you were actually not that bad?



Image source: http://blog.self-improvement-saga.com/2009/09/blame-accountability/